This week, I discovered a couple of helpful tools that have improved my blogging capabilities. Hopefully they'll lead to higher quality posts in the future. (Some might say we'd need a higher quality blogger to ensure that, but fie upon them!)
The first one may be a no-brainer for most of you, but I've started using Google Reader to receive tables of contents from Nature, Science, Cell, Nature Neuroscience, Neuron, and The Journal of Neuroscience. Every week I am exposed to dozens, if not hundreds, of intriguing articles. The idea is that I will eventually get around to blogging about some of them, although there's no way to find time for them all.
I've also switched from using Blogger's web-based WYSIWYG blog post editor to MarsEdit, a piece of shareware that works with many different blogging sites. It's so much better -- Blogger's web utility seemed to randomly reformat my text anytime I tried to edit a post, and it wouldn't remember things like my preferred font. It also didn't work well with copy and paste. So, I'm happy to have an easier way to update my blog, and one that will hopefully lead to fewer inexplicable formatting problems (like the weird spacing in some parts of my previous post).
THEFT: A History of Music - (more…)
21 hours ago