Well, that was a rough week. I spent three days preparing new tissue samples according to my fine-tuned protocol. Dissecting mice, grinding up their organs, processing the resulting goo, and measuring the concentration of protein in those samples took longer than I expected. Plus, with my class schedule, I had some days where I just didn't have enough continuous lab time to do all the things I wanted to do. (I wouldn't mind staying at the lab late to get things done, but unfortunately the Emory shuttle that I use for commuting stops running at 7:00 PM. I have to impose a somewhat rigid schedule for myself, as a result.)
Because it took much of the week to prepare my samples, I'm only just now running them out on a gel. I hope they look as good as the preliminary batch. I have a meeting with my adviser this week, so we'll be going over what little new data I've generated recently and talking about how I might expand upon this project if I join her lab. I hope to have something cool to show her.
I'm now in Week 8 of the rotation, a.k.a. the last week! There's no way I'm going to finish everything I want to do. When I started this rotation, I had to submit a proposal outlining my intended project. Reflecting on that now, I was being laughably ambitious. If everything had worked perfectly from the start, I might have checked more experiments off the to-do list, but instead I spent the first six weeks trouble-shooting. Alas, science can be like that sometimes. I just hope I can scrape together a few pretty figures for my rotation report.
'A Border Agent Took My Sister and Me Into a Closet and Sexually Assaulted Us,' say teen sisters - Two sisters who were trying to escape violence and poverty in Guatemala for a better life “became so desperately lost trekking across the Texas desert th...
6 hours ago