Sunday, July 12, 2009

I've Been Away

It seems that this blog has been on the back burner for over a month. Sorry about that! It's been a busy time for me -- I finished my last rotation, visited friends and relatives out of state, moved to a new apartment, and joined the lab where I will conduct my dissertation research. Things are going well for me, but I haven't had much time for blogging.

Also during my blogging hiatus, this happened. I find it worrisome, to say the least, and I've been thinking a lot about my decision to write under my real name without hiding my university affiliation. Perhaps it would be wiser to avoid the hornet's nest of new media at my university for the time being. But that doesn't feel right to me. If someone from my institution has a problem with what I write, they are free to contact me to discuss it. If I'm ordered to obscure my school's name (which doesn't really accomplish anything, given that interested parties are free to Google me...) I will comply. Until then, I will continue writing about my experiences practicing the science that I love, and hope that my university comes to a more sensible position on honest, open lines of communication between researchers and the blog-reading public.

No comments:

Post a Comment